Saturday, January 21, 2006

Nokian WR-SUV 215/70/R16

I didn't win the lotto, but lately it sure seems like it buying things left and right. Like today, it was for my trusted Element, my only means of transportation (beside my legs). The treads on the stock tires are very close to the mark for replacement. My mechanic told me so last time as well. Yes I did the penny test to double check, and yep, time to get rid of the Goodyear Wranglers.

After scouraging the web and Element Owners Club forums, my top 2 choices of tires went to:

a. Nokian WR-SUV 215/70/16 ~$135/tire
b. Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 215/70/16 ~$78/tire

Yah there's a steep price difference. Nokians almost doubled Yokohamas!! Tires these days are getting shee shee.. silica compound and directional arrowhead treading..siping

Winter has been light on snow thus far and there were several icy storms. But after the Thanksgiving trip back to PA, where I've seen at least 6 vehicle accidents, it was easy to justify shelling out close to $700 for a new set of all weather tires.

There's too much riding on those tires to regret getting the best for what I can afford to minimize risk in unplanned hazardous driving situtations. Esp when carrying precious cargo such as my family and friends, I don't ever want to mutter the words "I wish I had.. I should've gotten.. ".

So why Nokians? Well I've heard read nothing but rave reviews on them for their superior handling in rain, ice and snow.

No, I don't work for Nokian. I just like to do a lot of research especially before big purchases. So the call was made for 4 Nokians around 4:46 PM.

For those of you living in areas with a lot of bad weather, prehaps consider Nokians. Here are some articles I've found:

Real World Snow Tire Tests - 2002
Real World Snow Tire Tests - 2004
Nokian Tires
Canadian Driver - Nokian WR - Review
Element Owners Club - go into the forums and search for "Nokian"

Whohooo!! I'll get my new tires next week!

Hopefully riding with the Nokians, the white knuckle syndrome will go away whenever driving through foul weather.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I also read a lot of reviews on Nokian tires and it really does seem like the best tires to get even though they are pricy. You get what you pay for I always say! After reading those reviews made me want to buy Nokian tires for myself but I am no where new in need of new tires. I also do not work for Nokian. :) Thanks for sharing!