Sunday, December 03, 2006

Subjective

It's 13 minutes till 5PM. The closing time of my local library where I seeked refuge for the last 3 hours. It's too dam cold in the house for my blood to circulate so I must find somewhere warmer in order to have those digits functioning.

As I walked towards the front door, I noticed the yellow sign that's posted on the front door which reads - "Reception 2 - 4 pm". Ohhh.. what is this? I thought to myself. I soon found out that the library is hosting a reception for a local photographer. A wall of black and white photos with the theme snow is displayed in black frame. My excitement soon diminished as I scanned over the photos. Most of them were distant shots of central park in the winter. Trees and few people in the background. I didn't feel it. I didn't feel the serenity, tPublishhe calmness that the photographer wrote on the stand. And I sure didn't get the prices she tagged onto those photos - over $300 each! What the ...

Photos I guess are just like paintings or other forms of artistic expression - subjective.

What is beautiful and memorable for each person is quite different.

For me those pictures are very mediocre. I could've done those shots! But alas, I wouldn't have the clout to have the local lib host a reception for me.

I guess that's one factor that makes one an artist vs a casual photographer.

No comments: