Sunday, December 18, 2005

2005 In Review

As I think about what to sum up for 2005, I am resorted to the Time magazine, hoping to find a cheat sheet for all the major events this year, that is until I was distracted by the well placed ads from American Express, starting with stunning picture with Ken Watanebe, a horse and a dog.

So, let me start with the movies then....

Favorite movies of the year (I love movies.)

King Kong
- I am a sucker for animals and why did the have to kill him :( he just wanted to be closer to the one creature he shared the sunset with, god, where is my tissue. We want alternate ending!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- The darker and fast paced Harry Potter installment kept me fully entertained and on the edge of my seat even though I've read the book before. Favorite one so far, hope they keep it up!

Saving Face
- Finally, a fun lighthearted romance involving same sex couples. The interaction between mother and daughter is not as profound as the father and son in The Wedding Banquet, but fun to watch regardless. The portrayal of awarkwardness of the initial dates and the first dinner meeting with parents is charming.

The Chronicles of Narnia
- haven't seen this yet, but I am sure I'll like it

Brokeback Mountain
- haven't seen this yet, but I am sure I'll like it


Darkest Moments

The Fire
- The fire that almost took my parents. I have never felt so scared when I heard that there was a fire and there were people that died. When giving people news, give them the good news first!

The Hurricanes and the Aftermath
- Communication was key as many Americans found out during this Hurricane season as we witness in realtime a city incapacited in live TV and lives lost. The aftermath was the main ordeal. That is when I experienced how incredibly stubborn hardwired my father is and how frustrating it is to be on the other end worrying.

Aunt's Cancer and Passing
- Losing anyone close to you is hard. Although I believe I'll meet her again in the future lives, letting go is not easy. The earth keeps rotating stopping for no one. Time passes and we go on.
I put a picture of her and her family up today. She looked good in the picture, that's the aunt I'll remember.

World Events
In 2005, mother nature left a lot of scars and took a lot of lives.

The Hurricanes
- The hurricanes that destroyed much of the southern coastal communities reminds us humbly the force of nature and alerted the entire world the lack of preparedness US for these natural disasters.

The Avian Flu
- The impending pandemic, I've got this on my mind as I am about to embark on my journey to the east. Hope WHO and scientists around the world will produce something soon to help combat the spread.

The Earthquakes and its Aftermath
- Pakistan and India earthquake shook the entire world as the death toll keeps climbing, I can only shake my head as I wonder how many more types of natural disaster will we see this year.





Looks like time is running out.. I've got to sign up my dad for Medicare Drug Prescription before I leave the states. Always leave the important things to the last minute.. that and I need to give my cousin my will.

Now where is it.. one can never be prepared.

I'll finish wrapping up the year when I get back. I am thankful my parents and brother are relatively fine this year. So that's the most important thing.

Until next year.

No comments: