Thursday, February 09, 2006

Stocks and Work

How does one judge productivity? Am I being productive when instead of work I am busy learning about stocks trying to make money? Or is that just slacking off at work? Probably the latter. But can you blame me? Come on.. it's doing documentation or looking at the little nice tickers go up and down.. red.. green... red again.. green green green... red.... it's like Christmas all over again!

I was dumped into the design/documentation/implementation project about 2 weeks ago. The first set of tasks is to document all the stuff we need to get into the next release of the product. Well, after being on the fast pace demo team for about a year, getting back to technical writing proved to be a bit difficult for my mind and body to get acclimated. Having an active stock market doesn't help either. My mind wanders to stocks. I dream about the opening bell and the first 10 minutes after it, with all the crazy trading. I see stocks drop 10 dollars and I wake rushing to turn on my desktop, ready and eager to get in on bargains.

And oh yah.. work.. suppose to talk about my procrastination problem. Where was I? So 2 weeks later.. the huge design doc is due tomorrow. How much do I have done? ehh.. i say maybe 40 percent if even. Everytime I look at that thing it makes me yawn and the eyes turn filmy.. and my bed beckons me.

It's my job (for now) so I must do whatever it takes.... gawd... my ass is numb.. maybe some exercise will help. Doubt it.

No comments: