Saturday, July 15, 2006

Melting Pot

Why America is such an attractive country to be in? Anyone can answer that question after taking a train ride into the city.

While I am squished against the inner wall of the train cabin, trying very hard to avoid further contact of legs from the guy across from me, I looked about, uncomfortably aware how it was probably not the best idea to wear short shorts in cramped spaces. I am flanked on my right by one of the Eastern European women, absorbed and animated in their own conversation. The guy across from me, with his leg occasionally bumping into mine bare ones sports the latest gadgets, iPod/T-Mobile SideKick, sunglasses made popular by George Michael - African American. Standing in the aisle of the packed train, we got a burly African American body builder whose bulging biceps and enormous chest kept me fascinated for a while. Down the line we have some blond teenagers, grey haired white father, tan looking guy, red haired lady, freckled woman, tall, skinny, short, wide, extra tall..

This is America, welcome to the melting pot.

No comments: