Thursday, November 09, 2006

In The Name of Greater Good

Channel surfing after Smallville ended when I saw a PBS documentary presentation on chimpanzees once used as lab animals for various medical products and procedures.

For the next 40 minutes, I watched as the camera showed the chimps in their man-made habitat, which, for the most part consisted of concrete floors and metal bars. I listened as the narrators and their caretakers re account the harsh life these animals endured. It was absolutely heart wrenching to see these creatures, humans' distant cousins, so used to living in cages that when given freedom to explore green pastures, they were afraid to step off the hard concrete.

In the name of greater good, we have done so many things.

Survival of the fittest, I get that. The strong shall survive and get the bragging rights to write history.

Will I stop using modern medication? No. But when I do take it next time, I'll think of those that made it possible for me to suffer a little less and live a little longer.

No comments: