Saturday, November 04, 2006

Personal Productivity

How does one measure personal productivity?

Work? Work productivity is easy to calculate. Someone has already setup metrics, goals, target dates, billable hours, and other standards to which you are to meet to be deemed productive. But what about in our own lives? Who decides when we are productive and when we are just globs taking up space?

Me, I say me. I get to decide. Some days I give myself a big pat on the ass just for getting up to shower and eat. Other days, when the nagging me takes over, I force myself to make up TODO lists and do them (or try very hard). Today is one of those days.

The notepad is full of items to cross off by the end of the day. It's funny how the most important and the most pressing items are always passed over until all the easier, minor tasks are finished and you have no excuse but to tackle the big ones.

I did a lot today I have to say. Balancing accounts, scanning in sheets (joyful task but not for 5 hours), financial research, browsing, and lastly the most important item - sending out the referral form. Phew... I was drained by dinner time. Sorting through records really takes a toll. During one of my many mini breaks to keep sanity in check, I found a pretty cool site - 37signals.

The founders of the site are developers for simple, and intuitive software. One of which I found useful right away - Ta-da List. It's an online ToDo list keeper. How convenient. Now I can be reminded everywhere I go that I got crap loads of things that are yet to be finished. Do I really need additional stress?

Tomorrow, tomorrow will be play day.

No comments: