Sunday, January 14, 2007

I Pulled the Trigger... on the Nikon D50

It has been a long arduous journey for me personally to decide on a camera. Wait, not just 'a camera' but my very first DSLR. Whohooo! I've always liked photography. There's so much that can be read from looking at a picture, and I want to be one of those that capture that moment.

Thanks to the AMEX wishlist coupon, I am able to get a discount on the Amazon.com purchase. The hard part was to decide between mainly the three cameras - Nikon D50, Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D.

I went to several shops, held them, shoot sample shots with them (store lighting really isn't a good indicator), went back and repeated the process several more times. I think the camera shop people are sick of me now.

Finally hit the 'buy' button for the D50. God, endless nights scouring the forums. I just don't want to regret my decision or look back and say hell.. I should've gone with the other model. But like always, I tend to over analyze things. I guess there will never be that one perfect camera, that one perfect job or that one perfect life. Just need to make a decision and go with it. I am trying. 2 months it took me to pull the trigger and I am still not sure if I'll like it.

I figured that if it turns out I really do find the D50 too bulky for me to handle after shooting with it for a while, I can always sell it on eBay and recoup most of my money for it and then go for the D40 instead. I tried manual focusing on the Pentax K100D with some old manual lenses to see how it felt the other day... it was slow.... and I would definitely miss some shots if I had to manual focus with some of the primes like I would have on the D40.

Finally! It's such a relief to at least decide on a camera for now. Can't wait to get the camera and start taking pictures!

Now the long nights will be spent reading up on tripods to get. Ooooh boy ......

No comments: