Saturday, January 06, 2007

It's A Happy Day

Wow.. I feel good about myself today. Did a looooot of things. Let's see morning started at 8 this morning. The bladder called and also I wanted to get my rear brakes and rotors fixed once for all.

Roughly 40 minutes into 8, I got an appointment for the Element to get spanking new gear this afternoon. Finally! One would think that getting rear brakes and rotors would be something simple. But noooo.... in this day and age, how many of us have a trusted mechanic? Or dealer?

These day and age, I am a bit more cynical or careful if you want to put it nicer. But as a consumer, when it comes to service, it definitely does not hurt to shop around and get multiple views. So here is a rough summary of my quest to find out what actually needs to be replaced on my vehicle and not get ripped off in the process.

05/31/06
- took my Element into one of the Honda dealers (VIP Honda for those that live in NJ) for some fluid flush and oil change. As part of their routine checks I guess, they pointed out that all four of the brakes pads will need to be changed soon and they might not last until next oil change.
Odo reading = 44,558.

07/01/06
- Element went into one of the local STS mechanic shops for free brake and rotor inspection after hearing some screeching sound coming from the brakes. I was quite impressed when the mechanics actually asked me to step into the shop to show me the rotor and the brake while the tire is off. He explained somethings about the rotor which made sense when he's saying it. But to an untrained eye like mine, I doubt I'll be able to pick up whether or not a rotor has grooves that are not normal the next time I see a rotor. To me they all look like old records!

But it was the thought that count and the fact that the mechanic was willing to show me what they saw. Either we got a honest mechanic on our hands or that he was betting that I am amongst many others who knows knows nothing about rotors and brakes.

Anyways, I left the shop without anything done since the mechanics told me that my front pads still have about 50% life on them and the rotors look fine. The rear pads have 25% left and should replace the rotors at the same time within 5,000 miles.


11/08/06
- Went back to VIP Honda again to have my oil changed and also asked them to look at the brakes. This time instead of saying all brake pads needs to be replaced, the front pads and rotors will need to be replaced. The rear rotors are okay but need new pads.

Okay at this point I am really confused. Dealer is saying front rotors are bad, local mechanics are saying it's the rear that needs to be replaced.


01/03/07
- Went to the same local shop where I got my Nokian tires to see what they gotta say about my braking system. Front pad and rotors looked fine according to them. The rear pads and rotor will have to be replaced and the rotors are out of spec too thin to be replaced so that full replacement is needed. The fronts pads and rotors I were told should last at least another 5,000 miles without problem.

Yah, so this one agreed with the other local mechanic.

01/06/07
Okay finally went back to the STS shop and got my NAPA rotors and Honda OEM pads for the rear. Whohoooo.. I feel safer already!

I am just glad this is over. Not that I mind spending the money since safety comes first but it's just frustrating trying to figure out what exactly needs to be changed. I am still scratching my head as to why the opposite opinions between the Honda dealer and the local mechanics? One says front bad the other says its the rear!

Well, I shall find out soon enough. The next time I get on the highway and need to brake, I'll be able to tell if I still feel the pulsing when the brakes is applied at higher speeds.

The End of the Rotor Chronicles..

No comments: