Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The 180

Part I

Stock market in the US today was not glamourous by far for majority of the day. I think we were only up by 30 points max. However that was enough for me. Having finally placed an order to buy SIFY after 3 days of good run and high volume, I was cackling when I saw it went up 40 cents. The rest of my stocks were ticking green so I was one happy camper. Thought I would finish City of God before sending it back to Netflix, I was lost in Rocket's accounts until ooh around 3 PM. That's when I noticed the first 180. The market is now negative 80 points.

The market handed me a slap in the face.. "think you got me figured out eh?" it's telling me. Sometimes (wait what am I talking about), all times I wonder why do I do this to myself. I am no professional money manager, why bother with individual stocks with my measly funded accounts? Whoever wrote index funds are boring is right, it is boring. For me investing and hitting that "Buy" or "Sell" button is a terrible exciting action. I have to say that I am much more cautious and smart with decisions when it comes to investing today than when I was back in college. Nonetheless, despite the known advantages of index funds, I am like a moth drawn to the flame, tempted by the idea that I, I can time the transactions to make some dough in shorter periods of time.

No comments: