Sunday, November 20, 2005

Ma Jiang and My Father

Who had ever thought that a computer game is a way to bridge the gap between 4 decades?

My father is staying with me here for 2 weeks until he heads back to Taiwan. During this time, in my measly apt, there's not much to entertain him with. Anyone with asian parents might experience the same lack of conversation between parent and child. Why, I guess it's just that we haven't found a topic that both sides can maintain for more than 5 minutes.

Feeling guilty for neglecting my father while I have to work on the week days, I installed this computer Majiang game on my computer. Bingo! He's addicted. I have created a monster. It's pathetic at the same time that my dad is more awake while he's playing the game than the rest of the day when he's not clicking away.

Earlier today, took him to Best Buy to search for a digi cam. After 1 hour of looking at the various models there he was saying he's tired and his neck is sore. So we head back and after a brief lunch from Papa John's he's on the computer playing along with the electronic political player figures.

He's on there for the next 3 hours.

Tired my butt!! I think he has selective fatique factor.

So, but at least we made progress. Found that he needs an LCD screen bigger than 1.8, and that his big thumb won't cover any unneeded controls during normal operation.

At the end of the 2 hours my throat was tired as well. I am not used to using my voicebox for that long of a duration.

So now my dad is pretty happy and keeping himself might amused by playing the game.

Good. Glad he has some stuff to do when I need to work or when I don't have other ways to engage him in some conversations.

No comments: