Sunday, September 17, 2006

Freshmen at College

Remember what it was like? That very first year where you meet so many different strangers whose lives will cross yours for the next 4 years of your lives?

Quite a change, at least for me. Coming from a small, mostly white town to a 40,000 undergrad state university was an experience for me. That first year I met friends who are still my friends 10 years later. That first year I also found others who were just like me. It was the year to explore so many different things and reaffirm others. Such as my distaste for rowdy places or to get drunk. Alcohol in the blood stream never had the tipsy affect on me. It just puts me to bed.

A refresher down memory lane came tonight while I was chatting with younger, distant cousins. It's their first month in college and gauging from their responses, sounds like overall they are having a great time as well. Good for them.. Freshmen year was the most memorable and my most cherished year out of the 5 years I was at school. All the others were just a blur, labs after labs, sleeping in the labrooms, sleeping on the common room benches.. and a heck of a lot of frustration and swearing, and then came the awful coffee incident that prompts me to politely reject coffee offers.

No comments: